Recently I was lucky enough to escape to the tropical north for a dear friend's 30th birthday. I found the thought of the trip daunting, but as I flew into Cairns and saw the brilliant blue sea and green mountains, I felt as though I was coming home. I had a brilliant weekend catching up with old friends and eating beautiful food. What a wonderful place – here are my top five favourite things about it:
5. The weather. It's warm all the time. I love the warm breeze at night, it makes an evening stroll extra special.
4. The landscape. The high, lush hills and the clear blue sea.
3. Rusty's market. The fresh produce is unbelievable, and there are more weird and wacky fruit and vegetables than you can imagine. One morning we decided to get our days food from the market. We started with vegetable samosas, then moved on to bocconcini and buffalo mozzarella balls with fresh basil and ripe tomatoes. We then sampled sweet pineapple and the odd Longan fruit. We finished off with the most beautiful Vietnamese paw paw salad and rice paper rolls. I think I was in heaven.
2. The memories I have of living in such a beautiful place.
1. The dear friends I made while we were there.