Autumn: the most beautiful season.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

It's a cold Autumn day here. My toes are cold even though I'm wearing thick socks. I'm not a big fan of the cold, I prefer the warmer months. Having said that, I wouldn't skip Autumn for anything. I think it is easily the most beautiful season of all. I'm looking out at all the beautiful Autumn colours: orange, red, brown, green and shades of purple. Leaves are scattered on the ground and it reminds me of being a kid. We would make huge piles of leaves at my grandparents and then stomp and roll in them. Oh what fun!
My husband and I lived in Cairns for a while, for those who don't know Australia - Cairns is very tropical and there are really only two seasons, wet and dry. Anyway, I was so homesick one Autumn, longing for the crisp air and those beautiful colours. One afternoon a package arrived from my mum. I opened it and it was full of Autumn leaves. All shapes and sizes, all the beautiful colours of Autumn right there in a box. I have never been sent anything more beautiful. I still have them.
Photo via Flickr

1 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you - Autumn is by far my favourite time of year. There is just this energy to it - this feeling of dichotomy - whether to scurry inside from the wind or fling leaves around on the strong breezes.
    I had tears in my eyes when I read about the package your mum sent. I remember you could order something similar on marthastewart.com years ago and I think it's so precious. You have inspired me to do the same thing to friends in warmer climes. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Z All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger