Art meets Skate.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009


Lella has a thing for skateboarding, me, I'm not that interested. What I am interested in is the awesome skateboard graphics that are out there. This morning I was flipping through Lella's book, 'New Skateboard Graphics' by J. Namdev Hardisty, and was blown away by the board designs. It seems that Skate and Art go hand-in-hand. Not only are skaters skating on art, they are creating their own. I had the pleasure of hearing Ed Templeton speak at the 2005 Semi-Permanent Conference in Sydney, and thought he was a cool guy with some cool design ideas, but didn't realise there are a whole stack of really talented skaters making their own art. Ed is just one of the many that are talented on the board and off it. His photos are gritty, real and pack a punch, and Toy Machine's board designs are sweet. I definitely respect the 'art' of skateboarding.
Photos: detail from 'New Skateboard Graphics'

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Z All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger