The first year.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010


My Son had his first birthday last week. It approached and I didn't think much about it, planning a low key family dinner (complete with turkish sweets and some lovely gifts), but when the actual day arrived, I was surprisingly emotional. I didn't realise how important Hamish's birthday was going to be and how it would effect me. I found myself thinking about the last year, the amazing highs and the terrible lows, and when I saw the cake my Mum had baked with a single candle lit, I became a blubbering mess. I just can't believe how quickly it's gone. You're probably thinking 'the kids one, get a grip', but when you see how quickly they grow it's overwhelming.
I'm not one of those people who is a 'baby person'. I wasn't excited about having a baby when I was pregnant – I was petrified, but when I held Hamish in those first few minutes I fell in love. A love that is all consuming. Unconditional. A love that hits you in the pit of your stomach. It hasn't been an easy year, I was lost at the beginning, but with a lot of support I've found my place as a Mother and wouldn't have it any other way.
Happy birthday my darling.
Image via Audrey Hepburn Complex

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Z All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger