Five: Favourite smells.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

5. Coal smoke. 
I have a love hate relationship with coal smoke. I grew up in a mining town full of coal smoke chimneys or 'donkeys', one being next door to our house. It would blow out the thickest, smelliest smoke full of soot. The flakes of soot would land on our washing line and occasionally stain our clothes. When I smell coal smoke now it reminds me of being a child. Of afternoons spent jumping on the trampoline, or freezing winter days. Sometimes, I breathe that filth in and it makes me feel safe.
4. New Rubber.
When our new pram got delivered recently I couldn't get enough of the smell of the new tyres. So delicious. 
3. Fresh Baking.
How good is the smell of a cake cooking? I love going to Mum's and being welcomed by the smell of a delicious cake or batch of cookies. It is truly the smell of love.
2. Sweet Peas.
My favourite flower. The grow outside my Grandma's house, those pretty pink and purple flowers. I could burry my nose in them the whole day through.
1. Rain.
I love those summer afternoons when it starts to rain and that unmistakable smell rises from the earth. It's a smell you can't really describe, but is one of the simplest pleasures there is. Yum.
Image via We Heart It

1 comments:

  1. I love this. Smells are just so evocative - and they say aromas most readily send us into recollection of the past. So hard to decide on my top five...

    ReplyDelete

Z All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger