My heart is in the tropics. No longer.

Friday, June 12, 2009

It has been two years since my Husband and I moved back to Sydney from Cairns. We lived in the warm and sultry far north for almost four years, but decided to move back to New South Wales to be closer to our families. I had thought the move would be easy – we were going back to what we knew – but I was wrong. I missed everything about Cairns, my friends, my lovely little townhouse, the bright tropical plants, the warm weather, even the geckos and cane toads! I longed to be back in the warm.
We went back last June for a holiday. It was lovely to catch up with every one and to enjoy wearing little summer dresses in winter, but it was so hard to leave. I think it took me a good few weeks to get over the visit. So when my Husband suggested a holiday in Cairns this year I was a little hesitant. I didn't want to be unsettled again.
We have just returned from two weeks in Cairns and I can honestly say I'm glad to be home. Things have changed there – friends have moved, my favorite cafe has changed, and I hated being bitten by sand flys! Don't get me wrong, I still love the tropics (there is something beautiful about lying in bed with the fan on, windows open and the rain pouring down), but I've moved on. This time I bought my heart back with me.
Image via Flickr

1 comments:

  1. Oh my, sometimes I miss the smell of the rain, the very slow driving cars, and the way your sunglasses fog up as you step put of the car. I havent been back, maybe I should for old times sake!! xox

    ReplyDelete

Z All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger