Mizpah.

Friday, July 29, 2011

I've been obsessed with the concept of "Mizpah" for quite some time now, it is symbolic of an emotional bond between people and symbolizes a place of sanctuary. The term "Mizpah" comes from the Bible, Genesis 31:49, and the verse goes like this: "And Mizpah; for he said, The Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another." Mizpah jewellery became popular in the Victorian era and also made a huge resurgence in World War 1 for the men who went to war to wish them a safe passage back.
On Tuesday I turned 24 and my family bought me the best birthday present I think I've ever received - the above Mizpah ring. It was made in 1881 - isn't that amazing?! I am so in love with it, and for me it represents the amazing bond and love that my family has for me and I for them. It fits so perfectly and every time I look down at it I wonder who it was originally made for and what kind of life it's had, how it got from Birmingham to Blackheath, and where my life will take it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Z All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger